Logo for Alcester Minster Churches

Alcester Minster Churches

Worshipping God, making new disciples and transforming communities

St Nicholas - Alcester

Contact us

When we meet

Our history

A view of St Nicholas Church Alcester -Church of England

Welcome to St Nicholas - Alcester

‘a worshipping community at the heart of the town’

St Nicholas lies in the centre of the Alcester Minster group of churches who meet here on the 2nd Sunday and when there is a 5th Sunday in the month.

 

There are various types of midweek and Sunday services aiming to provide something to suit everyone.   A loop system is used to ensure that everyone can participate fully in our services.   Please see the chart on the 'When we meet' page.  Details of special services for Mothering Sunday, Easter, Harvest, Remembrance and Christmas will be listed on the noticeboard page: noticeboard.html.

 

Midweek services include Little Stars for babies, toddlers and carers.  Please click the link: little-stars.html.

 

Home groups run throughout the year.  Please click the link: get-involved.html.

 

Our choir plays a major part in formal worship and festivals under the musical direction of organist Malcolm Procter and Junior Choir Tutor Elizabeth Humphrey.  We also have a worship band that accompanies the worship at the monthly Minster Family Communion service.

 

2014 was the launch year for two major projects:

‘Project Restore’ is about bringing the external stonework back into good order. Financial support is sought from a number of sources including those for whom St Nicholas is an important landmark to the town.

‘Project Refresh’ will re-imagine the way we use the building for worship, prayer, study, music and community activities.   The worshipping community is working together to make the building more flexible and approachable while remaining a prayerful signpost to the glory of God and his kingdom.     Please click the link: restore-and-refresh.html

Sat Nav: B49 5AL

St Nicholas is situated at the top of the High Street, Alcester

Contact Details:
Elizabeth Humphrey - Churchwarden 01789 400 579 elijaria@aol.com
Lizzy Davey - Churchwarden 01789 764640 mrsedavey@gmail.com
Sunday in the Month Time Service Description
1st 9 am Holy Communion Book of Common Prayer Communion without singing
11 am Sung Eucharist Communion with fuller liturgy, choir and sung responses
2nd 9 am Minster Communion Communion service without singing
11 am Minster Family Communion Communion suitable for all ages with illustrated talk
3rd 9 am Morning Prayer Morning Prayer without singing
11 am Sung Eucharist Communion with fuller liturgy, choir and sung responses
4th 9 am Holy Communion Book of Common Prayer Communion without singing
11 am Sunday Live Short service for all ages
5th 10 am Minster Celebration Communion for everyone in the Minster parishes
Midweek
Tuesday 7 pm Holy Communion Short Communion service without singing
Wednesday 10 am Holy Communion Short Communion service without singing

Click the link for the 2016 programme of evening services: assets/2016 Evening Services Programme.pdf

 

There has been a church since before our records begin on this site at the heart of the old Roman town of Alcester. The tower is a surviving part of a 14th century building, with the rest a graceful Georgian addition from about 1730.

 

Entry at the west end is through the porch of the 14th Century tower, the oldest part of the building.  At the centre of once walled Roman Alcester, the site has been the location of the church since the 12th Century, when it became part of Alcester Abbey.

 

In 1286 the Chantry of Our Lady was founded by the Botelers, on the site of the current north aisle and vestry.  The south aisle and Lady Chapel was the site of the 14th century Chantry of All Saints founded by the Beauchamps.  Both of these Chantries were subsequently closed by the policies of Henry VIII.

 

Having served as barracks during the civil wars, the nave was replaced in 1730 by one with fine Georgian Doric columns and ceiling, believed to have been designed by the famous Francis Smith of Warwick.  It was furnished by a three-decker pulpit almost obscuring an altar in a shallow apse, and box pews, galleries, and a rebuilt west gallery on the tower wall.

 

The present layout dates from 1871 after 'Oxford' revival.  Galleries and box pews were removed, and apse replaced by Preedy's Victorian gothic chancel with transepts, with an arch pierced through the ancient tower to give today's fine aspect on entry.

In 1984 restoration of the tower began, followed by nave roof and floor.  Since 2001 heating and lighting have been upgraded, and restoration of the stonework and fabric continues.

 

Inside the church can be seen the tomb of Sir Fulke Greville (grandfather of Lord Brooke buried at St Mary’s Warwick), and various monuments including those of the Seymour family of Ragley Hall.  There are Victorian and 20th C stained glass windows, and many other historical features.  The tower contains a regularly used peal of eight bells cast in 1948 to replace an 18th Century set.

 

Surrounding the church is its beautiful churchyard, a calm green space in the centre of the town which includes a sensory garden beside the north wall.

 

A tour guide for the inside of the church can be seen here.

Alcester Minster Churches - 07840 284 294 (Administrator)  01789 764 261 (Rector)